A comparative study of some characteristics and values of Saskatchewan school trustees
Belsey, Glenn Morgan
MetadataShow full item record
When the Province of Saskatchewan was established in 1905, there were 206 local school districts in operation. As there appeared to be no pressing necessity for change, the School Ordinances in force in the Northwest Territories were continued when the Saskatchewan Department of Education was organized. Later the southern half of the province was partitioned into a network of local school districts each with an area of approximately twenty square miles. Provision was made for the establishment of consolidated districts of thirty-six square miles or larger in 1913. In 1944, the Larger School Units Act made possible the formation of approximately sixty larger sshool areas in the province. The educational organization of the province has grown so rapidly that by January 1968, according to figures provided by the School Administration Branch, Department of Education, there were sixty larger school units, 4,198 local school districts, forty town and city public school districts, and thirty-four town and city separate school districts. In the majority of cases, the units of school organization were administered by trustee boards or school boards whose members were elected and empowered by local ratepayers. The purpose of this arrangement was to provide some degree of local control in education. Note:Study of Values Test Booklet was not digitized due to copyright limitations. It is stored with the original thesis and is available upon request.